6 reasons why there’s never been a better time to work in the UK automotive industry
For many kids growing up, working in the car industry is a dream job. In the past the reality hasn’t always lived up to the hype, with falling job opportunities and stagnant careers. That has all started to change. Today the UK car industry is booming, the future looks rosy, and there’s never been a more exciting time to be a part of it.
- Business is booming: the UK car industry is producing more vehicles than ever. The number of cars built last year was up nearly 4% on the previous year, and industry experts predict that output in 2017 will be around 2 million – surpassing the 1972 record of 1.92m. This means more jobs – there are around 800,000 people currently employed by the UK automotive industry, with 27,000 new jobs created in 2014 alone.
- Premium brands are in demand: gone are the days of budget minis and metros. UK plants are focusing on more premium brands like Jaguars, Land Rovers and Bentleys, not to mention the super exclusive McLarens, Aston Martins, Rolls-Royce and Lotuses. Imagine getting your hands on those beauties at work!
- The industry is at the forefront of technology. Car production is a high-tech business; gone are the days of it being about bashing metal. It’s an exciting, high skilled career choice.
- Cars are green! As well as the cars themselves become more and more energy efficient, the car industry accounts for just 4% of the energy used by UK industries overall, and it’s falling over time.
- There’s more for the taking. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders believes that if it wanted to, the UK car industry could make about 80% of the parts it uses right here in Blighty, contributing another £4b to the British economy. Jobs galore!
- The people are happy. The percentage of workers leaving the car industry has fallen from 10% in 2000 to 5.6% in 2015 – suggesting more people are happy with their career choice.